Insurance and financial services, Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Tips for a Safer Holiday Season
At Hometown Insurance and Financial Services, we want our customers, and their loved ones to enjoy this holiday season. We found some tips to share so you can make sure to make the most of your time, safe.
With ideas on how to prepare your vehicle for winter travel, things to not forget when out shopping, and home prep for inside and out, these are important to keep in mind during the holiday’s.
Inclement Weather Maintenance for Your Vehicles
- Install new, winter-grade, wiper blades at the beginning of the season and replace fluids.
- Tires should be inspected to make sure they are in good condition. Be sure to check for uneven wear.
- Place an ice scraper and snow brush in your vehicle.
- Give yourself extra time to get to your destination.
- Use caution driving in snow and icy conditions. Make gradual movements, brake more slowly and drive slower than usual.
- Keep a blanket, gloves and snacks in the vehicle.
- Be mindful of parking under tree branches—winter conditions can lead to falling branches.
- Have window chips repaired now. As the winter months approach, the cold weather can cause these to spread.
Holiday Shopping Tips for Your Auto
- Be conscious of where you park.
- Always lock your vehicle.
- To minimize break-ins, do not leave items visible in the vehicle.
- Be aware of other drivers in parking lots when opening doors and backing out of parking spaces.
Inside Your Home
Before the excitement of the holidays begins, it’s a good time to prepare your home for the season. Below are some tips to ensure a safe and peaceful holiday season.
- Have your fireplace, woodstove or other heating options professionally inspected and cleaned before use.
- Replace smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector batteries.
- Keep an unexpired, wet chemical fire extinguisher readily available and easily accessible.
- Before stringing your holiday lights, check all strands for frayed ends and cracked bulbs. Turn off holiday lights before leaving for the evening or before going to bed. Never leave burning candles unattended.
- If traveling, have a neighbor check your home regularly. Keep doors locked and holiday gifts out of sight and away from windows. Never post travel plans on social media.
- Put a light or lamp on a timer.
- Locate the main water shutoff valve in your home and know how to operate it.
- In extremely cold weather conditions keep your heat set to a minimum of 65 degrees to help prevent pipes from freezing.
Outside Your Home
- Disconnect all hoses and turn off the water line to outside spigots to prevent pipes from freezing.
- Remove all leaves and debris from gutters to allow free flow of water and preventing water from seeping into your house.
- Trim and remove dead tree branches to prevent damage from falling branches due to snow, ice or wind.
- Keep sidewalks and entryways free of snow and ice to prevent anyone from slipping and falling.
Hat tip to iamagazine.com for the holiday safety tips.
Here to Help
Hometown Insurance and Financial Services is here to help! We can ensure your insurance and financial well-being are taken care of by listening to you.
Send us a secure note here, or give us a call at (970) 264-4321
Health | Dental&Vision | Life | Disability | Group | Home | Auto | Builders Risk | Workers’ Compensation | Renters | General Liability | Medicare Supplements