wildfire-safety, mitigation, tips
Wow, hello summer! It’s hot, and the long range forecast isn’t promising much in the way of moisture. This means wildfire season is upon us.
In fact, just last week, the Storm Prediction Center issued the first Extreme Fire Weather Danger warning for Western Colorado and Eastern Utah in 15 years. Wildfire danger has been a growing concern in the West over recent years.
Mitigation, or taking precautions ahead of a disaster, is the way to ensure your property is safe from wildfire danger. Summer fire danger can be a real threat to your home. Taking precautions now, before we get deeper into wildfire season can help protect you from potential disaster.
While homeowner’s insurance polices can help with recovery for the unexpected, when it comes to wildfires, prevention is crucial.
Wildfire Mitigation Tips
We have some wildfire mitigation tips to help you get a start to preparing your property for wildfire season.
- Clear a safety zone around your home, creating a buffer of at least 100 feet. 200-500 feet is even better. Remove combustibles, dead trees, leaves, pine needles, and brush. Also remove tree branches that are hanging over your home.
- Make sure any propane or fuel tank is at least 30 feet away from your home.
- If your property doesn’t have community water or access to a hydrant, get a water storage tank. Make sure that all of your garden hoses can reach the farthest corners of your yard, keeping them visible and accessible.
- Make sure entrance roads are clear, and that your address is displayed in a place that is well visible to ensure emergency responders are not delayed.
- Use fire resistant materials in the structure of your home. Especially in the roof which is most vulnerable.
These tips offer a great reference to get started with your own wildfire mitigation plan.
Your local forest service office is a great place to get specific resources for
Planning for Hazards: Wildfire – Colorado Department of Local Affairs
Here to Help
Hometown Insurance and Financial Services is here to help! We can ensure your insurance and financial well-being are taken care of by listening to you. Send us a secure note here, or give us a call at (970) 264-4321.