insurance, health-plans, special-enrollment

This is information for those who might be looking for health insurance coverage outside of Open Enrollment. Enrolling in a plan outside of Open Enrollment is available for people who have experienced a recent change in life known as a Qualifying Life Event (QLE).

To enroll in coverage after your QLE is triggered, there are some things to keep in mind.

Please Remember:

  • You application must be submitted within 60 days after your QLE is triggered.
  • In some instances, to avoid a gap in coverage you may submit a completed application up to 60 days ahead of your QLE.
  • Copies of your supporting documentation are required to be provided before your application can be approved for coverage.  Please send copies to
  • We will contact you if further information is required.
  • Your initial premium payment is required once your application is approved.

Qualifying Life Events and Required Documentation

Qualifying Life Event

Required Documentation

COVID Special Enrollment No proof required
Involuntary loss of coverage Proof of prior coverage including the date of the loss of coverage and the reason for the loss of coverage
Loss of Medicaid or CHP+ coverage Letter from Medicaid verifying loss of coverage and coverage dates
Loss of coverage due to change in dependent status such as divorce or legal separation, death, or turning 26 Divorce decree or legal seperation

Death certificate or obituary

Proof of age and evidence of loss of creditable coverage

Gaining or becoming a dependent through birth, adoption, placement for adoption, or placement in foster care Birth certificate, adoption documents, or foster care documents
Marriage or civil union Marriage license or common law documentation
Return from military duty Change in military status and effective date of change
Relocation to your state from a foreign country or United States territory Utility statement, rental/purchase agreement, or another credible source listing the new address
Relocation to a new county within your state Proof of prior coverage in the last 60 days and utility statement, rental/purchase agreement, or another credible source listing new address
Court order for coverage Court documents stating same
Other (not listed above) Documents providing verification of QLE

Payment and required documentation are required for your coverage to take effect. 

If you have any questions, we’re here for you!

Here to Help

Hometown Insurance and Financial Services is here to help! We can ensure your insurance and financial well-being are taken care of by listening to you. Send us a secure note here, or give us a call at (970) 264-4321.

Health | Dental&Vision | Life | Disability | Group | Home | Auto | Builders Risk | Workers’ Compensation | Renters | General Liability | Medicare Supplements